"I am not proud of not being proud either."




Pride is a tricky concept I have never been able to grasp.
Feminists say women should be proud of being women. So should I be proud of being a man? I would if I caused it. That kind of genetic control prowess is definitely worth my pride.
My countrymen say I should be proud of being a Nepali. I would if I caused it. I sure find the bravery of Gurkhas amazing. And Mt. Everest awe-inspiring. And Buddha and Sita and so many figures worth all my respect. But what did I have to do with it? Why should I be proud?
Be a proud Madheshi they say. I didn't cause that either.
Be a proud literate they say. That's my parents' doing not mine.
There's a lot of things I should be proud of based on what people say. But I ain't proud. I ain't proud of not being proud either. That, although my own doing (to an extent) achieves nothing and hence merits no pride in my head.

I am glad though that I am human. That all the 150 mil sq km of land on earth is in my control, along with seven billion other people. We have our differences among ourselves. But regardless of the differences and regardless of the time it takes when anyone does something great, we all embrace it (E=mc2 or dS=c3A/4hG or F=ma or Evolution or Medicine or stuff). When anyone does something abominable we all denounce it (Hitler's holocaust, the Church's witch burning, terrorists' killing etc.)

I am thus glad of being part of such a powerful race. But I ain't proud. Coz I had nothing to do with it. 


- Abhinav Thakur

I thought of doing a guest post. This is one particular idea that convince me

We hear people saying " Proud to be a Nepali" and I don't know what that means. My parents say be proud of being a Bramhin and I don't know why I should. I am not saying you should not be proud, I am just saying you can't be. How can I be proud on some random genetic probability event

The idea of pride to me is something that i achieve from my doing. For example, I would be proud if i climb Mt. Everest. But I can't be proud of Tenzing Norgay Sherpa climbing Mt. Everest or that fact that he was a Nepali too. I feel good and I am happy of the fact but not proud. How can i be proud of something he did

You can follow Abhinav on facebook if you like.
And if you do, initiate a conversation (saying what's your take on pride or anything ), he is fun to argue with all his logic and he has no idea i have posted his writings here. :D 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why we read books?

Why I thought Pashupati Prasad had insane ending?

Banduk vaneko Nepali ma “Gun” ho baba??